How to Remove Wallpaper with Wickes
- 18 July 2021
- Posted by: hastingsio
- Category: Non classé
Although you can paint over wallpaper, the best finish is obtained by stripping the paper back before repainting. Learn how to remove wallpaper with this step by step guide from one of our Wickes experts.
Subscribe to the Wickes YouTube channel here: http://po.st/KBc6GS
For more Wickes videos click here: http://po.st/BLYHbr
There are three methods for removing wallpaper:
Score, Soak & Strip
1. Put on a pair of gloves and lightly score the paper with a Stanley knife being careful not to damage the underlying plaster.
2. Soak the paper using a sponge and hot water. Let the paper soak for 5 minutes.
3. Work your stripping knife into the scores and scrape the paper off the plaster wall behind.
1. Ensure you’re wearing goggles, a dust mask, gloves, protective clothing when using chemical stripper.
2. Soak the wallpaper in chemical stripper by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Allow time for the chemical to soak before stripping the wallpaper.
If you’re working on a large area, steam stripping is the best method. If you’re stripping an area higher up the wall apply the steam from up a step ladder to avoid hot water running down your arm and take extra care around woodwork, switches, sockets and fittings.
1. Fill the stripper’s tank with water, switch it on and hold the plate against the area of wallpaper you’re trying to strip.
2. Once the steam has penetrated the paper – which usually takes 15 seconds, strip the paper using a stripping knife. If any areas aren’t stripping easily, re-steam them and try again but don’t let the steamer run low on water as this could damage the machine.
Once the paper is removed, clean the area using sugar soap.
Watch more helpful DIY videos from Wickes below;
Wickes Website: http://www.wickes.co.uk/
Wickes Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Wickes.co.uk
Wickes Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wickes
Wickes YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/wickesvideo
Wickes Pinterest channel: https://uk.pinterest.com/wickes/
If you’d like to find out more from Wickes, the order line number is0330 123 4123